Location: Irvine, California
Anthony Lanza, a founding member of Lanza & Smith PLC, has over 20 years of experience in general corporate, business, and commercial litigation and transactional counseling.
Anthony Lanza has successfully handled multiple sophisticated litigation matters through resolution, in state, federal, and appellate courts, including actions involving manufacturer, distributor, and retailer disputes under the Commercial Code, breach of fiduciary duty, directors & officers liability, malicious prosecution, securities, fraud, RICO and dozens of contract disputes. Anthony Lanza has substantial real estate litigation experience, including: commercial unlawful detainer, nuisance, trespass, construction claims, mechanics liens, judicial and non-judicial foreclosure, premises liability, inverse condemnation, eminent domain, environmental disputes, and breach of developer, contractor, and real property purchase contracts. He has also represented, and continues to represent, employers in disputes involving wrongful termination, breach of contract, harassment, discrimination, common law and statutory public policy claims, whistleblower, ADA, and ERISA.
Mr. Lanza is a successful trial attorney, as partially evidenced by a $1.5 million unanimous jury trial verdict he obtained – as lead trial counsel – in federal court in the matter of Martin v. Arrow Electronics, which was the second largest federal trial verdict in Orange County in 2006. More recently, Mr. Lanza and Brodie Smith successfully defended a $6.5 million RICO two week jury trial for three defendants, pursuant to a unanimous jury verdict in federal court. They also obtained in 2017 dismissals for their clients pursuant to motions to dismiss granted by a federal judge in L.A. in defense of a multi million dollar RICO lawsuit filed by the largest importer of Chinese garlic in the world.
Transactional practice areas for Anthony Lanza include general corporate counseling for small cap and local start-up companies, including business entity formation, capital financing, employment matters, and general compliance issues.
Anthony Lanza graduated Magna Cum Laude in 1987 from the University of Notre Dame, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science with Minors in Philosophy and Military Science. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army in May of 1987, and retired from reserve military service nine years later as a Captain. Anthony Lanza received his Juris Doctorate degree in 1991 from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, where he served on the Hastings Law Review. He was admitted to the California State Bar that same year. He clerked for Chief Justice J. Clifford Wallace on the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Diego, California. He is a member of the California State Bar, the Notre Dame Law Association, and the Orange County Bar Association. Anthony Lanza has also served on the Board of Directors of the Notre Dame Club of Orange County, an arm of the Alumni Association. He has been married to his wife Victoria for almost 20 years, and has two children.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Real Estate
- Directors’ & Officers’ Liability
- Wrongful Termination — Employer
- Complex Litigation
- Federal Appellate Practice
- Federal Trial Practice
- State Appellate Practice
- State Trial Practice
- Eminent Domain
- Commercial Landlord/Tenant
- Corporate Law
- California, 1991
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1999
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2005
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. – 1991
- Law Review: Hastings Law Review, 1989 – 1990
- University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana
- B.A. magna cum laude – 1987
- Major: Political Science (Government)
- Minor: Philosophy & Military Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Notre Dame Club of Orange County (Arm of Alumni Association), Board of Directors, 2002 – 2005
- State Bar of California, Member, 1991 – Present
- Notre Dame Law Association, Member, 2006 – Present
- Orange County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Chief Justice J. Clifford Wallace, United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Diego, California, Clerk, 1990
- U.S. Army, Captain, 1987 – 1996